(Entry 1 of 2) : one who adheres to something: such as. a : a follower of a leader, party, or profession Freud’s adherents. b : a believer in or advocate especially of a particular idea or church adherents of Christianity adherents of socialism.
How do you use adherent in a sentence?
Adherent sentence example
- In theology Collier was an adherent of the High Church party, though his views were by no means orthodox. …
- Paul Kruger, who lived near Rustenburg, became a strong adherent of the new church. …
- A firm adherent of the Church of Rome, Sigismund was successful in obtaining aid from the pope.
What is a synonym for adherence?
In this page you can discover 17 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for adherence, like: devotion, faithfulness, fidelity, obedience, attachment, cohesion, conform, tolerance, loyalty, bond and connect.
What is the meaning of adherent in Oxford dictionary?
noun. /dhrnt/ /dhrnt/ (formal) a person who supports a particular set of ideas.
What is adherent in chemistry?
adjective. sticking; clinging; adhering: an adherent substance. bound by contract or other formal agreement: the nations adherent to the Geneva Convention. Biology.
What is a acolyte person?
1 : one who assists a member of the clergy in a liturgical service by performing minor duties. 2 : one who attends or assists a leader : follower The mayor dined with a few of his acolytes.
How do you use adherent?
Adherent in a Sentence
- The judge told Todd that if he was strictly adherent to the rules and did what was expected, his sentence could be reduced.
- The adherent properties of Super Glue are so strong that some people have had to go to the ER to get un-stuck from something.
How do you use usurp in a sentence?
Usurp sentence example
- This decision will usurp the powers of the commitee. …
- There was a much better time when she did not know he planned to usurp her, and the memory comforted her. …
- It will usurp authority over the man, but not cause him to be in silence.
How do you use aggrandize in a sentence?
Aggrandize sentence example
- Alexander carried on a double policy, always ready to seize opportunities to aggrandize his family. …
- His intent was to become sole lord and to aggrandize his tiny principality.
What do you understand by Orthodox?
The definition of orthodox is someone or something that strictly adheres to religious beliefs or the conventional, normal way of doing things or normal accepted standards. An example of orthodox is a person who abides by all religious doctrine.
What is a affiliation?
Full Definition of affiliation : the state or relation of being closely associated or affiliated with a particular person, group, party, company, etc.
What cohort means?
cohort KOH-hort noun. 1 : companion, colleague. 2 a : band, group. b : a group of individuals having a statistical factor (such as age or class membership) in common in a demographic study. c : one of 10 divisions of an ancient Roman legion.
What is the prefix for adherent?
prefix ad- In all cases, the word comes from the Latin root haerre stick, connected to the prefix ad- to, making the word mean to stick to.
What is the antonym of Urge?
Opposite of a sudden impulse or desire. nonchalance. disinterest. indifference. apathy.
What is a devout?
1 : committed or devoted to religion or to religious duties or exercises a devout Catholic. 2 : expressing piety or religious fervor : expressing devotion a devout attitude.
What is an acolyte Catholic?
acolyte, (from Greek akolouthos, server, companion, or follower), in the Roman Catholic church, a person is installed in a ministry in order to assist the deacon and priest in liturgical celebrations, especially the eucharistic liturgy.
Can a woman be an acolyte?
On 10 January 2021, Pope Francis ordered a modification to canon law and related norms to state explicitly that all baptized persons can be admitted to the instituted ministries of lector and acolyte.
What do you think vittles are?
: supplies of food : victuals now chiefly used playfully to evoke the supposed language of cowboys The vendors sold souvenirs and knickknacks and all manner of local vittles. Frank Deford
What is adherent cell culture?
Adherent cells are cells which must be attached to a surface to grow. They are commonly used in laboratory environments. … Typically, most suspension cells were originally adherent and have been adapted to work in suspension culture.
What part of speech is adherent?
|part of speech:||noun|
|related words:||doctrinaire, friend, partisan|
|Word CombinationsSubscriber feature About this feature|
|part of speech:||adjective|
What does it mean to usurp someone?
transitive verb. 1a : to seize and hold (office, place, functions, powers, etc.) in possession by force or without right usurp a throne. b : to take or make use of without right usurped the rights to her life story.
Can you usurp a person?
If you say that someone usurps a job, role, title, or position, they take it from someone when they have no right to do this.
Can you usurp someone?
A usurper is someone who wrongfully takes someone else’s place. A usurper usually tries to take someone’s place on the throne, rather than someone’s seat on a bus.
How do you use Agile in a sentence?
Agile sentence example
- She was unafraid and sure-footed, agile , and well-disciplined. …
- They climb with great facility, and are agile and graceful in their movements. …
- It is a clever, agile and powerful dog, extremely pugnacious in disposition. …
- He was lean and agile .
What is the meaning of the word overstate?
transitive verb. : to state in too strong terms : exaggerate overstated his qualifications.
How do you use ensemble in a sentence?
Ensemble in a Sentence
- The jazz ensemble is composed of five musicians playing as a group.
- As part of the choral ensemble, I sing in my church’s youth choir with twenty other teenagers.
- The ensemble of actors was recently named as one of the best casts in film history.